Friday, January 1, 2010

Crock of S*#$*((@*&$T....

Hi all! Okay I'm behind on my postings...so let's start with the Crock of Shit episode.....

I decided to make my wonderful daughters a nice pot of homemade beef stew-just like Mom made it....
Got the nice lean chunks of sirloin, braised it ever so sweetly over the stove with some olive oil, garlic, a dash of salt and sprinkle of flour....smelled yummy throughout the house. Nothing like the smell of browning beef and garlic to add aroma to the homestead...

Since I have to work for a living, and not stay home all day mothering my beef stew, I decided to pull down the good old crock pot. I've had it since the 80's, beige, baby blue and pink to proof the decade it came from (like my wedding dish set). Threw the beef in with all the delicious sauce it created all by itself, added plenty of water to get through the day....turned the crock pot on HIGH to make sure it stay at optimal heat, and went off to my meeting....

At 3:30 I called Sara, and she turned it off dutily...didn't LOOK in the pot, but it was off. When I came home at 5:00, it was a crock of black poop. Sorry, but it's really the only way to describe it. I couldn't believe a crock pot could burn something so badly...isn't that why they are used, to AVOID burning something while you're away? I mean, my culinary skills are limited, and already have a low percentage of success (50/50) and burning is my worst culinary defect. I really was disappointed in the whole crock industry, and have sworn them off for the rest of my life. I actually threw out the whole pot, lid, poop, and all.


Now I'm ready for that pressure cooker!

No comments:

Post a Comment